|Pack your Big Yellow Suitcase|
(Lake Chapala, Mexico)
What began as a social meeting in New York between two professional travellers who share a belief that 'it takes a village', has quickly evolved into the newest bespoke tour company specialising in small group adventures to most interesting and beautiful villages in the world. Together they searched for off the tourist-trail places where their guests could be immersed into the local culture as they leave the every day and emerge into the extraordinary.
"Big Yellow Suitcase tours embrace slow travel principles," they say. "We encourage our guests to follow our lead. Why not stay a while and really get to know a place?"
Right now they are beginning a tour of Ajijic in Mexico. You've missed this one, but there will be another from November 14-23, 2015. The tour based in captivating Ajijic on the shores of stunning Lake Chapala is a project both Wendy and Tom have worked hard to establish.
Wendy has owned and operated an events management company that has taken her around the world many times. Over the years she has nurtured a deep affection for particular places and a desire to share this fondness with other avid travellers.
Tom has been writing about travel for nearly twenty years. (A disclaimer here: Tom is a good friend and a genuine, fun guy. Having travelled with him, I can only say that his groups are in for a classy trip.) Tom Neal Tacker owns and operates an online magazine which continues to lead him around the globe searching for unique cultural, gastronomic and historical insights.
Wendy and Tom share a passion for ‘slow travel’, which means having an ability to settle into a place, living as the locals do, getting to know a place well instead of rushing through it simply to tick off another goal on a bucket list of destinations.
Believing in cultural immersion and authentic interactions with interesting and talented local people is essentially what Big Yellow Suitcase tours are all about.
Although the Mexican tour has already begun, the good news is that there are several more around the world planned for 2015. First up is Thailand Between Beaches in mid April, 2015, a 9-day exploration of southern Thailand including four nights ‘glamping’ at Elephant Hills and Cheow Larn Rainforest Camps.
At Elephant Hills guests are treated to a unique mahout training course, a very interactive session with elephants as well as a dawn kayak excursion waking up with the gibbons as they announce ‘This territory is mine!’
For more information about other destinations such as Thailand, Sicily, Greece, New York City and the best gourmet regions in Australia, please see our tours page for the full Mexican itinerary and upcoming tours.
- A taste of Puglia
- Culinary travel in southern India
- Bay of Fires food tour
- Food tours to Sardinia and Corsica
- Romantic Reunion Island
- Belmond gift cards
- Discover Burma
- See Spectacular Sardinia
- Stockholm's rooftop walk
- Visit Kamchatka, Eastern Russia
- Eco-family tours
- Mediterranean gastronomic tours
- Capture memories with Flytographer
- Muddy Shoe Adventures
- Crooked Compass tours
- Africa's rare five
- Taste of Israel
- Zambesi safaris
- Gastronomic experiences in Mexico
- Seven types of 'Happy Feet'
- Elephants in the room!
- Luxury private jet tour
- Serengeti camps revamped
- Truffle Hunt Club tour
- Paris by Mouth food tours
- The lakes of Ladakh
- Meet the people of the Andes
- Battlefield tours
- An animal migration safari
- Angkor Wat by private plane
- Outback WA luxury
- Macedonia's friendly food
- Take a safari
- Nordic Adventure
- Putting Persia into perspective
- Capturing Cuba
- Australia's longest lunch
- Summer in Greece
- Christmas escapades!
- African safaris
- Visit Morocco with an expert
- SIX spots to whale-watch worldwide
- Captain Cook whale watching tours
- Little summer in Costa Rica
- Kenya's great migration
- Lugenda Wilderness Camp
- Herbie's Spice Trail
- A whale of a time!
- The journey back - Borneo
- Wildlife tours
- Israel on a plate
- Three food cultures, two wheels
- Fabulously You Paris
- A place (of your own) in France
- Gorilla Tracking in Africa
- Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
- Miami Culinary Tours
- European Wine Capital tour
- Food and wine tours in the South of France
- Moroccan tours and classes
- Romance and spirituality
- Tasmanian seafood tour
- Have cheese platter - will travel!
- Africa's Wild-Dog Hot-Spot
- Lodge hosted by ancient ethnic people
- Meet the animals in India
- Moab's menu
- Maeve O'Meara Melbourne tours
- Meet the world's animals
- Safari tours
- Turtle season in Oman
- Uncover Spain with an expert
- Rainforest secrets
- Nature's light show
- See stars in Chile
- Eco-tours 2013
- The Chocolate Tour of London
- Tuk Tuk food tour
- Five great Adventure holidays
- Walk with a Fork in Suffolk
- On your bikes! In Oregon
- Burma for shutterbugs
- Taste Barcelona, Spain
- A Taste of Catalunya, Spain
- World tasting tours
- Touring in Kenya
- The big five, Africa
- Tropical treasures
- Guatemalan getaway
- Bhutan and Beyond
- San Fran's Asian flavours, USA
- Cooks on bikes, Puglia, Italy
- Five Australian food tours
- Gulet cruise in Turkey
- Coral planting in the Maldives
- Slow Life in the Maldives
- Cycling in Portugal
- Tour Sri Lanka with Peter Kuruvita
- The Amazon's Big Five
- Everest Jubilee Trek
- Summer in Antarctica
- Moroccan artist retreats
- Samara Game Reserve, South Africa
- Tombstone Tourism
- Cool adventures!
- Follow the star to the East
- Get off the beaten track in Ghana
- Autumn in Chianti tour
- School holiday adventure
- Commemoration in Antarctica
- Voluntourism in 2012
- Three Chefs in Burgundy
- Northern Exposure
News FeedFeed Entries
India's best-kept secret - a state of excitement and mystery.
Fells and dales, gingerbread, shaggy sheep and weird standing stones.
Glasgow is shaking off its grey reputation.....
Still find all the food and fun of Central Taiwan ....
From the valleys to the seaside - sharing the surprises of South Wales.
Lovely green Kerala has a friendly welcome for everyone.
Listen to the podcast
Edinburgh, Scotland's capital city, is full of surprises!
Can't get enough of Singapore?
Why does dining on an island always seem so much better?
FIFTY places and foods you may (or may not!) recognise.
The world's BIGGEST war memorial. HINT: it's in Australia.
Meet the courageous Japanese city that is embracing the future.
The Blue Mountains have much to offer - summer or winter.
A cruise around south-east Asia uncovers some fascinating secrets.
So you thought throwing the wedding bouquet was strange....
If you like beer, this could be helpful when you travel.
Pack your Big Yellow Suitcase ...