|What the Travel Brochures Don't Tell You|
An ancient proverb says it well: 'To lie about a far country is easy'.
And while travel brochures – those wonderful glossy productions pitched somewhere between a coffee table decoration and a work of art – don't set out to be actually misleading, the end-result sometimes strays a little from the truth.
In these publications the sun always shines, everyone smiles, all food is fresh, the water safe, fish line up to be hooked, and exhausted adjectives like 'beautiful, stunning, super, azure and dazzling' end up needing a vacation themselves after their workout.
But if you are alert (and perhaps a trifle cynical) other phrases can take on a whole new meaning too:
One thing is certain. If you make a mistake in your choice of vacation spot, no one need ever know.
When your friends ask how was the trip, all you have to do is say: "Tropical, secluded, leisurely... walking distance from everything. And the staff were so-o-o friendly."
You can do it. As the proverb says: it's easy!
by Sally Hammond
Do you have any phrases or words you can add to this?
News FeedFeed Entries
- Gastronomic guide for travellers
- Luggage tips
- Solo travel for women
- Dining out with kids can be fun
- Instant translations
- Are you an aviophobe?
- Ten tips for the philanthropic traveler
- Top 10 Tips For Your Best Business Trip
- Wear your technology
- Sprout Watches
- Security for your cards
- Dress for the weather
- Avoiding Airport Angst
- Micro luggage
- Pedal around the world
- Segway the world
- Ostrich Pillow
- Conquer your fear of flying!
- Tips on International Dining Etiquette
- An app to help the budget
- Backing up your vacation
- 10 must-have websites for travel troubles
- Guess what happened to me!
- Staying safe at the Olympics
- Singapore Airlines' Good Food Guide
- Pocket Travel Companion
- House sitting holidays
- True Green Travel
- Pay it Forward
- Molly's vest
- Swap houses and cost-save
- New Year travel resolutions
- Maps with Me
- Finding Local Guides
- Tips for Baby Boomer Ladies
- Top five family travel tips
- Caravanning and Camping- the Experts’ Advice
- An app to save you texting
- On the road - and on budget
- Welcomes from around the globe
- RFID Wallets
- Instant upgrades
- Taxi Tips
- Eating well (and cheaply) on the road
- Travel Timesavers
- Car leasing in Europe
- Polite Travel
- Travel Tips
- BYOF - bring your own food and save
- Maps made for travelling
- Frequent Flier Pointers
- Save your Travel Memories
- 10 tips to make your holiday happy
- Ask Sally!
- Go-anywhere clothing!
- 10 tips for a Great Vacation
- Live Luggage
- Staying connected
- Seven Ways To Find Hotel Deals And Make The Most Out Of Loyalty Programs
- Voluntourism - vacationing as a volunteer
- How (not) to get an Upgrade
- Taking Off on Your Holidays
- Top 10 Travel Tips For You And Your Family
- How to Have a Holiday on Your Holidays
- Flight Essentials
- Tripatini - Social Media for travellers
- A Dozen More Things you'll be Glad you Packed
- Ten Things You'll be Glad You Packed
- Packing a Winner