|Flavours of Melbourne, A Culinary Biography,|
Beginning, quite rightly, with the diet of the indigenous inhabitants of Port Phillip Bay before white settlement, Charmaine O’Brien guides her readers through the varying history of gastronomy in Melbourne, one of Australia’s most food-centred cities.
It’s a quirky, interesting trip as O’Brien meets restaurateurs, food writers and culinary professionals and gives insights into early eating establishments and food-loving characters.
Familiar and novel foods make their appearance too – yum cha, Violet Crumble, hot dogs – and recipes and illustrations add interest to what becomes an entertaining and original scrapbook of all things concerning Melbourne and food.
Flavours of Melbourne, A Culinary Biography, Charmaine O’Brien, Wakefield Press, 2008, rrp $39.95, www.wakefieldpress.com.au Paperback 300+ pages.
- From India
- Divine Vegan Desserts
- Food Lovers Guide to the World
- Food Shock
- Berry Hill
- Amalfi Coast Recipes
- A Greekalicious Feast
- A Sardinian Cookbook
- Complete Food & Nutrition Companion
- Bold Palates
- Great, Grand & Famous Champagnes
- Gourmand World Cookbook Award Winners
- Great, Grand & Famous Chefs and Their Signature Dishes
- Guide to Farmers' Markets Australia and New Zealand 2007
- Gourmet Pilgrim Italy
- Gourmet Rabbit
- Great Gourmet Weekends in Australia
- 1080 Recipes
- A Month in Marrakesh
- 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes
- Amore and Amaretti
- And the Love is Free, mum - a life with recipes
- Antonia & Lucia
- Barcelona bound?
- Best-ever Baking Recipes
- Barista Techniques
- Beat Heat Eat
- Bécasse – Inspirations and Flavours
- Beyond the Great Wall - recipes and travels in the other China
- Bitton: a French-inspired café cookbook
- Buon Ricordo
- Byron, Cooking and Eating
- Christmas with Margaret
- Coffee Time!
- Cooking for Claudine
- Cuisine du Temps
- Dinner with the Butcher
- Four new food DVDs
- Dough: Simple Contemporary Bread
- Eat Your Words
- Everything but the Squeal, a year of pigging out in northern Spain
- Five Smart & Healthy books
- Food Safari