|Cuisine du Temps|
This large glorious book could sit quite happily on your coffee table. Its full page photographs and edgy graphics make it the sort of thing to leaf through with your friends, and ooh and aah over.
However……. you’ll be doing yourself a favour if you introduce it to your kitchen too.
Jacques Reymond is a masterchef par excellence classically trained in France, but now cool about embracing the flavours of Asia. His dishes are ingredient-focussed, and aim to bring out the best in all produce.
So, there is spiced fried quail with Asian dressing, and roasted duck breast with mango sauce, as well as subtle twists on classics such as beignet of blue swimmer crab, or calves liver foie gras style. Close-up how-to pages take the mystery out of pasta making, gnocchi and spaetzle – a German noodle.
While Chef Reymond shares his secrets of clafoutis and bavarois, it’s also apparent that he has embraced some of the native flavours of his adopted country. The lemon myrtle and bush pepper berry ice-cream is an absolute must to try, as are the coconut and feijoa sorbets. There is also a spiced chocolate ice-cream, where the spice is sizzling hot birdseye chillies.
It’s apparent that Jacques Reymond loves to play with flavours and in the hands of an expert like him, you know you are safe to follow his lead.
This book will be equally at home on the coffee table or on the bench beside the coffee-maker.
Jacques Reymond, hardcover, New Holland Publishers, 2010, rrp A$60.
- From India
- Divine Vegan Desserts
- Food Lovers Guide to the World
- Food Shock
- Berry Hill
- Amalfi Coast Recipes
- A Greekalicious Feast
- A Sardinian Cookbook
- Complete Food & Nutrition Companion
- Bold Palates
- Great, Grand & Famous Champagnes
- Gourmand World Cookbook Award Winners
- Great, Grand & Famous Chefs and Their Signature Dishes
- Guide to Farmers' Markets Australia and New Zealand 2007
- Gourmet Pilgrim Italy
- Gourmet Rabbit
- Great Gourmet Weekends in Australia
- 1080 Recipes
- A Month in Marrakesh
- 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes
- Amore and Amaretti
- And the Love is Free, mum - a life with recipes
- Antonia & Lucia
- Barcelona bound?
- Best-ever Baking Recipes
- Barista Techniques
- Beat Heat Eat
- Bécasse – Inspirations and Flavours
- Beyond the Great Wall - recipes and travels in the other China
- Bitton: a French-inspired café cookbook
- Buon Ricordo
- Byron, Cooking and Eating
- Christmas with Margaret
- Coffee Time!
- Cooking for Claudine
- Dinner with the Butcher
- Four new food DVDs
- Dough: Simple Contemporary Bread
- Eat Your Words
- Everything but the Squeal, a year of pigging out in northern Spain
- Five Smart & Healthy books
- Flavours of Melbourne, A Culinary Biography,
- Food Safari