|Top five family travel tips|
With the Christmas holidays just weeks away, families everywhere are looking for a much deserved getaway holiday, whether it be up the coast, interstate or overseas.
Family travel can, at times, be stressful and Australia’s leading travel agency group, Travelscene American Express, understands that kids need to be entertained and budgets need to be followed.
Travelscene American Express’ top 5 tips when travelling with the family are:
1. Look for package deals. Most people book flights and accommodation separately which can end up in spending more than intended! Package deals can offer huge discounts, and travel agents are the most up to date with what’s hot and what’s not.
2. Use reward points such as airline frequent flyers or, if you’re an American Express cardmember, you can use your Membership Rewards points to pay for all or part of your travel. Using them for your next family holiday means you save cash, and gain extra money to keep the kids entertained.
3. Choose hotels with free add-ons. Some hotels charge for the extras that can come free at other accommodation sites, such as internet access and breakfast. Taking the time to search around for what is included can be time consuming, but will ensure you have more spending money for activities.
4. Travel during non-peak periods. From mid-January onwards, many airfares, resorts and hotels move from a high season to a shoulder season pricing, which means less crowded resorts and hotels as well as great savings in the last weeks of school holidays. Wednesdays are also the cheapest days to fly, while weekends are most expensive. Ask your Travelscene American Express agent to help plan your family holiday so you get the best value deals on hotel rooms and flights.
5. Pack carefully! To keep children entertained choose toys that will occupy your kids for long periods of time such as a board game or portable DVD player, while the classic games such as ‘I Spy’ can keep the whole family entertained. Luggage costs should also be kept in mind, so divide belongings in a carry-on or bring a second piece of luggage – which will still cost less than an overweight bag.
To help you plan your family holiday contact an experienced Travelscene American Express Member agent who will provide direct access to airlines, hotels and tour operators, as well as exclusive deals only available through an agent.
News FeedFeed Entries
- Gastronomic guide for travellers
- Luggage tips
- Solo travel for women
- Dining out with kids can be fun
- Instant translations
- Are you an aviophobe?
- Ten tips for the philanthropic traveler
- Top 10 Tips For Your Best Business Trip
- Wear your technology
- Sprout Watches
- Security for your cards
- Dress for the weather
- Avoiding Airport Angst
- Micro luggage
- Pedal around the world
- Segway the world
- Ostrich Pillow
- Conquer your fear of flying!
- Tips on International Dining Etiquette
- An app to help the budget
- Backing up your vacation
- 10 must-have websites for travel troubles
- Guess what happened to me!
- Staying safe at the Olympics
- Singapore Airlines' Good Food Guide
- Pocket Travel Companion
- House sitting holidays
- True Green Travel
- Pay it Forward
- Molly's vest
- Swap houses and cost-save
- New Year travel resolutions
- Maps with Me
- Finding Local Guides
- Tips for Baby Boomer Ladies
- Caravanning and Camping- the Experts’ Advice
- An app to save you texting
- On the road - and on budget
- Welcomes from around the globe
- RFID Wallets
- Instant upgrades
- Taxi Tips
- Eating well (and cheaply) on the road
- Travel Timesavers
- Car leasing in Europe
- Polite Travel
- Travel Tips
- BYOF - bring your own food and save
- Maps made for travelling
- Frequent Flier Pointers
- Save your Travel Memories
- 10 tips to make your holiday happy
- Ask Sally!
- Go-anywhere clothing!
- 10 tips for a Great Vacation
- Live Luggage
- Staying connected
- Seven Ways To Find Hotel Deals And Make The Most Out Of Loyalty Programs
- Voluntourism - vacationing as a volunteer
- How (not) to get an Upgrade
- Taking Off on Your Holidays
- Top 10 Travel Tips For You And Your Family
- How to Have a Holiday on Your Holidays
- Flight Essentials
- Tripatini - Social Media for travellers
- A Dozen More Things you'll be Glad you Packed
- Ten Things You'll be Glad You Packed
- Packing a Winner
- What the Travel Brochures Don't Tell You